Monday, May 25, 2009

Kashi - Lemongrass Coconut Chicken



Finally, I used the coupon to get a free Kashi frozen dish. It's been a few months since I've had the coupon and never used it.

Mainly due to me not remembering because I usually go to the grocery store just to get the necessity items that I normally do. Or if I want to make a particular dish, I would write down a food list. I'm not a big fan of frozen food and prefer eating food that I cook. Rarely do I go out and eat too.

But wanted to try a healthy frozen lunch, just in case, in the future, I am pressed for time.

Looking at the Healthy section at Krogers, I decided to get the Lemongrass Coconut Chicken.

Ingredients: Cooked Kashi™ Pilaf (water, whole: oats, long grain brown rice, rye, hard red winter wheat, triticale, buckwheat, dehulled barley, sesame seeds), cooked chicken (chicken breast, water, chicken flavor [dehydrated chicken broth, chicken powder, natural flavor], rice starch, carrageenan, salt), water, brocoli, lemongrass puree (lemongrass, water), carrots, cooked quinoa (water, quinoa), sugar snap peas, coconut cream (coconut cream, xanthan gum, carrageenan, guar gum), coconut, evaporated cane juice, rice starch, canola oil, garlic (garlic, water), evaporated salt, ginger puree (ginger, water), jalepeno pepper, lime juice concentrate, soy flour, whole milk powder.

Allergen Statement: CONTAINS WHEAT, SOY AND MILK INGREDIENTS.

Diabetic Exchange: 2.5 carbohydrates, 2 very lean meats

Nutrition Facts:
Serving Size: 1 entree (283g)
Servings Per Container: 1
Amount per Serving %Daily Value*
Calories 300
Calories from Fat 70
Total Fat 8g 12%
Saturated Fat 4g 20%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 10mg 3%
Sodium 680mg 28%
Total Carbohydrate 38g 13%
Dietary Fiber 7g 28%
Sugars 6g
Protein 18g 36%
Vitamin A 40%
Vitamin C 20%
Calcium 6%
Iron 10%

After a few days, I decided to try it. The presentation wasn't appealing. However, I didn't want to toss the food away. So I finally tried it.

It definitely is satisfying. Would I buy it again? Most likely, no. Mainly because I'm not a frozen food person. I would recommend to others who are used to frozen foods to try an alternative healthy frozen food and go with Kashi's products. There are many other dishes from Kashi. Check them out

No comments: