Monday, May 25, 2009

BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir (Indian temple in Lilburn)

In March, I went to the BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir aka beautiful Indian temple off Rockbridge Road and US 29. If you have been in the Lilburn area, then it is not hard to miss the beautiful temple located behind WalGreen's (yes, odd place but it's well worth it).

I still remember when it was in the process. When I drive by the area, I would wonder when I would finally see the finish product. My kids went to the elementary school in the area. When I read more about how dedicated the workers were, I was more astonish. The workers were volunteers. The stones, consisting of Turkish Limestone, Italian marble, and Indian pink sandstone, were carved and shipped from India. In only 17 months, the gorgeous temple was finished.

But it took me a year or so to even visit the beautiful place. I was unsure if I would be allowed to visit. As I did more research, I discovered that visitors are allowed and take pictures. However, within a limited area.

Let me add this -- at night, the temple changes colors. It's because of the lighting. When I'm pass the area again, I'll take pictures. Only if I remember.

Nevertheless, in March, my Blogger friend ajnabi came to visit Atlanta. We decided to visit the temple. We didn't take many pictures because of limited areas and shortage of time.

Here are some pictures from that time. I decided to crop out Jocelyn just in case she wouldn't be happy with me posting her pictures online :)


Arriving and parking


Walk to the the temple but we notice a water area? Reminds me of the Taj Mahal, not like I've ever been to Agra.


Closer view


Another view, can you see the elephants?


Let's go inside the temple


Beautiful


Can not take pics passed the peacock

You can read more about the temple here

4 comments:

Shweta Mehrotra Gahlawat said...

Hi! I never knew you had this blog! adding it, and will check out regularly from now on!

Mz Lily said...

My sister went to it several times and I saw pictures from Jennifer's myspace...beautiful! I want to go there now.

Nicki said...

Shweta - yah, come back. Can't wait for your updates

Lily - you should go!

Unknown said...

WOW, that is gorgeous!!!!!